In order to identify and prioritise opportunities to reduce energy usage, we’ve devised this handy checklist to help you. In some cases, things can be rectified simply by communicating with employees and altering the way you usually do things. Others may require the repair or replacement of certain items, while brand new equipment might have to be installed.
Here are a few questions to ask about your Business.
Please contact us for a full survey and recommendations about reducing your Energy usage
Heating & Ventilation
- How old is your boiler or other heat source?
- What kind of condition is it in, and would an upgrade be beneficial?
- Is this source of heat maintained regularly?
- Is the pipework of the boiler/boiler itself well insulated?
- Do your radiators have thermostatic radiator valves (TRVS)?
- If possible, have variable speed drives been fitted?
- Are all heat emitters, such as radiators, fan units and storage heaters, unobstructed?
- Are any areas in the premises over or under heating?
- Are any employees also using electric heaters?
- Are local thermostatic controls appropriately set (including frost protection)?
- Are thermostatic controls placed in efficient areas? (i.e. not in direct sunlight or behind furniture?)
- Have timers been set to match business hours?
- Have heating and ventilation controls been set to provide a dead-band?
- Is there a risk of heating and cooling occurring in the same area?
- Are unoccupied areas being unnecessarily heated?
- Are there heated high-bay spaces in your building?
- Are ventilation fans properly maintained and cleaned?
- Is exhaust-air heat recovery installed?
- Are air flow rates controlled in an effective manner?
- Does the building have ventilation and air-conditioning systems in place?
- Is the temperature of the air-conditioning ever used below 24°C?
- Are air-conditioned spaces thermally separated from spaces that aren’t air-conditioned?
- In air-conditioned spaces or when the heating is on, are windows left open?
- Are radiators performing consistently and giving off enough heat?
- During the winter, are blinds closed at the end of the day to avoid heat loss?
- Are there areas of over-lighting or under-lighting?
- Are tungsten lamps still being used? Can they be replaced with energy-saving bulbs?
- Have T12 or T8 fluorescent lamps been replaced by lower energy alternatives?
- Can halogen lamps be replaced by CFL or LED versions?
- If you have exterior lamps, can light output be reduced at all?
- Are lamps and reflectors/shades unclean or discoloured in any way?
- Are there any unused areas being lit?
- Can occupancy sensors control intermittently used areas?
- Is the majority of lighting controlled by single switches?
- Can daylight sensors be fitted to lights adjacent to windows?
- Are windows and skylights regularly cleaned and maintained?
- Are manual switches accessible and labelled clearly?
- Do employees know which switches control which lights?
- Does your organisation have a switch-off policy?
- Are all exterior lights controlled by timers or daylight sensors?
- Does all IT equipment have energy saving features enabled?
- Is all other equipment switched off when not in use?
- Have lifts been assessed by an expert?
- Does all refrigeration equipment have an A-rating or better?
- Is refrigeration equipment cleaned and maintained?
- Is refrigeration equipment properly used and placed in a cool environment?
- Are vending machines and coolers fitted with timers?
- Are photocopiers placed in well-ventilated areas?
- Can any equipment be switched on later and switched off earlier?
- Are your employees over-filling kettles when they make hot drinks?
- Are microwaves switched off at the plug after use?
- Is there prominent guidance in place that reminds employees of best practice?
- Is energy efficiency awareness a part of employee onboarding process?
- Is equipment clearly labelled so that employees know how to operate energy saving features in the appropriate manner?
- Are there any appliances or pieces of equipment that would benefit from labelling or signage?
- Do employees know to switch lights off in rooms that are not in use?
- How often do employees take the stairs as opposed to the office’s lift